The Mid-Cheshire Motor Club, as it was originally called, came into being in 1953 when its activities were confined to non-circuit events, rallying, trials and a number of sprint type events. However, the club is probably most famous for its association with Oulton Park Racing Circuit. On the 8th August 1953, Mid-Chesh (as the club is affectionately known) organised the first ever race meeting at the circuit. Past President, Ray Dawson, had viewed Oulton Park as a racing circuit in the latter stages of the second, world war and, together with others, designed the original circuit. The club organised most of the meetings in the early years, from club to international race status and remains the only non-national club to have held an international race permit. For many years Mid-Cheshire promoted an annual Formula One Race for the Gold Cup Trophy, the only amateur club ever to have done so!